I am so. sick. of being asked that question.
Honestly.
I want to say, "Do you ask your daycare provider what they do all day with your kid(s)?"
I'm just not brave enough to do that.
Instead, I'll do the mature thing and blog about it. ha!
To you Mommy's: you already know this, so no need to continue reading.
(Unless you want to comment about what your "day care" is like. Oh, please do!"
Person says, "So...what do you do all day?"
Kyle replies, " I have an 11 month old.
He walks and talks.
I don't drop my kid off at day care.
I get live in my "daycare" instead.
I get to pick up its toys 2.5 million times each week
Make the breakfast, lunch, and dinner of all its inhabitants
Do each of their laundry
Fold each of their socks (which seemingly NEVER have a match. I must have 30 different color socks with no match)
Clean its toilet, mop its floors
Grocery shop for its food. Ugh. Grocery shopping.
And your day care nanny probably gets to put on a bra every day.
I'm pleased if I have one on before lunch time.
Speaking of her...did she have a macaroni noodle in her hair from lunch time and only noticed when her husband pulled it out when he came home from work?
Oh, that was just me? Whatev.
I had to watch Boowa and Kwala 4 times in one day (that's 5 hours, people) while my child was cutting two teeth because it worked better than Tylenol.
I spend the majority of my day sitting on the floor, which leads me to my next point.
It never seems appropriate to wear jeans or anything relatively cute because it will infact have peanut butter and jelly, milk, boogers, or spaghetti sauce on it at some point in the day.
And he usually doesn't nap (especially not while teething) which leaves little to no alone time.
My kid joins me in the bathroom every time I have to go.
I spend a lot of time clapping, hugging, loving, cheering on, boo boo kissing, teaching and correcting."
And I only have ONE.
Some of you have 2, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Which makes me just love and adore you and want to rub your sore little feet.
You really are strong, strong women to do what you do.
This is what we do all day.
It's busy, it's full,
It's THE BEST.
So shut it. Thanks. :)
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
5 days ago
14 comments:
"My kid joins me in the bathroom every time I have to go." yes, me too. :-) I love living in the "day care"
haha - I can't believe how many times I have been asked that question! Totally grates my nerves - thanks for reminding me that we are normal (I hope)!!
GREAT post. And yes, with multiples you *obviously* multiply the messes, food, injuries and laundry, but add in fights as well! =)
Funny how we love it so much! Definitely worth it!
Oh, and I should add that although we may not be contributing FINANCIALLY, we contribute in a very different way that is equally as important and vital.
I should quit...It's just my pet peeve when ignorance says we don't do anything but sit at home...
Thanks, off my soapbox now.
Hi Kyle,
I CANNOT agree with you more. Being able to stay home with my girls was the BEST choice I could've made. When Shayla was young we made the decision to have her in daycare. She was only in there for 6 months, but it was the worst 6 months of my life. What was my final eye opening experience that told me to stay home? On the weekend Shay requested her "day mommy". I walked into the daycare the next day and said that Shay would not be returning. This is a FULL TIME job that no one truly understands. I had all the same questions. People underestimated my intelligence. In the long run I feel that my girls are better people and more intelligent because mommy stayed home with them. My answer for all the idiots was always...."I get paid in hugs and kisses. I do not miss a single moment of my babies lives. Shay has a warm snack on the table after school. WE ARE HAPPY!" Another consideration for your daycare....it never closes. You are mommy 24 hours a day. This makes it that much harder and so much more rewarding. YOU ARE DOING WHAT GOD WANTS YOU TO DO! Ignore the haters and embrace the "lovers". YOU ARE EXCEPTIONAL!!!
I am going to provoke a negative tirade here I'm afraid, but it needs to be said...
Society was a much more stable thing when mothers raised their own children. We have a whole generation of daycare children that are descendants of the Feminist movement. In general, they are insecure, lack coping skills, self-centered, and immature for their age. Now remember...I did say "In General".
Congrats to you mommies who are raising your own. You are making a future contribution to society that is PRICELESS...
I hate that people ask you that Kyle. I never realized the difficulty that went into keeping up with a house until I stayed home and didn't work...and I dont even have a kid!
those buttholes. they need to shut up.
I am sorry but I have to comment here..
I have to give my respects to those who work a full time job and THEN come home to do the laundry, clean the house and cook the meals. I think what you do is great Kyle and I am happy you get to stay home but working with many single moms I have to say they do a lot! To have to work 8 or more hours a day then go home to do all the mommy chores is tough. For those of us who dont have the choice to stay home it sometimes comes out the wrong way when we do ask "what do you do" its not that we dont think you do anything its that we do what you do and a second job. I dont mean this is an offensive way, just giving you a working woman's point of view
Sarah, I think you forget that I too was a working mom. It didn't make me any better than a SHM because I had to do both. What I was doing by working was depriving my baby of much needed time, teaching, encouragment etc from ME. Sure, my mom watched him for me and did a great job. But she wasn't ME. This all to say, this post was not about working moms who have no choice. And to think that a child can be raised and parented correctly in 4 hours when you are home at night is totally obsurd. It's not a matter of what I can get done at night after work, it's a matter of properly raising and training my child into who we believe he should be. That is something I cannot do while I'm at work and he is in the care of someone else. Believe me. I know.
Wow who would have thought a simple post could cause such a stir! Amazing how much running around we do after our kids. I totally get the no bra, food in hair, old clothes and the floor sitting, whew it is busy being a Mummy.
Bravo Kyle!! I agree with you 100%!
Kyle Parish, you are an amazing mother and I'm very happy that you get to stay home with my little nephew!!
Mandi
Yes, I so agree with you. I've even had some strange people say how easy it must be for me to homeschool, since I didn't have to get all the kids up early and on the bus! DUH...don't think they thought about that one...NO, I don't, I keep them home all day and labor to educate and train them so they will grow up and be responsible, God-fearing adults who are productive members of society someday! That's all!
Your post made me think...I have worked MANY hours the past few weeks...not leaving much energy for home and kids. Makes a mommy feel out-of-sorts and just 'not right'. It reminds me why God gave me these six 'babies'...to raise them and be with them, to teach them, to love on them, to play with them, educate, disciple and so much more...hard to do with a few leftover hours at the end of the day!
So glad you are home with little Judah...he is such a cutie. And for those teething times...try Hyland's homeopathic Teething Tablets (available at Walgreens and Dillons). We called them happy pills for a reason! :)
All I can say is that this made my heart swell with pride (because I am so so proud to know you, you are kind of incredible) and also, jealousy. I can't wait until that is how I spend my days.
Post a Comment