1.25.2010

shopping solo with an 11 month old.

I do not recommend it.

i went to Aldi and Dillon's
(i'm boycotting wal-mart)
and both stores are less than 1/4 mile from my house.
we did great at aldi.
he even flirted with an old woman.
oh...
besides trying to hit every. single. button on the
debit card machine.
and...
after picking him up out of the cart to stop the attack against
the debit card machine, he commences to try to go for the
check out ladies buttons.
he gets one.
she gets mad.
i get embarrassed.
i go to sack my own groceries in shame.
to dillon's we go on our merry way.
we stop by the in-store bank first,
he flirts with the girl behind the counter.
my hope increases.
he insists on standing in the cart, making my attempts to
plop him down futile.
i bribe him with puffy cereal.
he bites.
but not for long.
a fit is nearing accompanied with some EEEEHHH!!!'s and AAAHHH!!!'s
then throws the whole canister all over the floor.
all. over. the floor.
how in the world do i even start to pick that up?
i do my best to make a pile, but you know, with a screaming baby in my cart,
and only my foot to use
it's hardly a pile.
oh. and i was in low rise jeans.
 (which i try to avoid at all costs with my post baby body.
it's just better for all of us, ok?)
don't ask me why this contributed to the problem, but it did.
my cart is full of groceries or else i would just leave.
luckily our melt down happened in the bakery section where they
hand out free cookies.
"here, judah. let me bribe you with a cookie"
he smiles.
then one more EEEEHHH!
and he chucks the cookie out of the cart and
it shatters all over the floor.
hi. is my hair falling out?

by the time i made it out to the car, i was so flustered.
i tried to stay calm. really. i did.
i think i did ok.
i'm trying so hard to be a calm disciplinarian. that doesn't use
anger to correct my child.
so...
when i went to grab my keys and discovered his sippy cup
spilled all. over. my. purse.
lovely.


i feel like this guy.
i made him this weekend, not knowing how much our
faces would resemble eachother today.

we got home and judah took his much needed nap.
and i took mine.
lesson learned:
grocery shopping with an 11 month old is not a solo parent occasion.
amen.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Yes. Yes. Yes! Welcome (snicker) to (chuckle)insane parenting. The honeymoon is over and the real job of parenting has begun. Your little man is a toddler...have a great time! It's fun. It's busy. It can be frustrating at times. BUT...watching them beginning to be independent is cool. Even if they have no coping skills yet. Or regard for personal property. (cute toy btw!)

Weza said...

Giggle, I had to do that with two!
Can. be. so. embarrassing. Keep trying, talk to him before you go, have a strategy, Early morning was a good time to shop for me. xxx

drea :: dre of white stables said...

Poor mama! Most of the time either all of us go together or Jason or I go alone. Grocery shopping is madness enough by itself! Your creation is adorable, btw! I've wanted to make monsters that looked like the ones on jaxon's clothes.... But then I forgot. =)

Michelle said...

I have been in your shoes many times and then I made the decision to grocery shop when the daddy can stay home with the kids while enjoy some quiet grocery shopping. It's been wonderful ever since!

Ashleigh Thomson said...

Oh my goodness... LOL I have had similar times with Holden incessantly screaming in stores.. but not nearly as bad yet.. because you know, he's not mobile and all! Can't wait! ;)

Unknown said...

oh, the joys...wilder and i have to do that all the time.
isn't aldi fabulous?

Jen McArthur said...

GK, I laughed HYSTERICALLY through this entire post!!! I was watching the entire thing play out in my mind and I promise you I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard!!! “Hi. Is my hair falling out?” HAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

I mean. I’m so sorry it was so hectic for you?

But oh my gosh… you absolutely just made my day!!!

And I love you. Ok, bye.

The Whites said...

I've been quietly reading your blog for about a year now and I just had to comment on this!!

This is why I always make my husband come to the store with me... since she was a newborn. I could just imagine her starting to cry in the middle of grocery shopping and not knowing what to do and everyone starring. AHHH. She is 8 months old now and I can just see this happening.