1.22.2010

Foodie Friday

This year, I'm really trying to cut back on my carb addiction.
I have been looking at flourless/low carb recipes and I came across this one.
Flourless brownies.
The secret ingredient is black beans.
I was pretty sure they were going to be disgusting, but they were surprisingly delicious.
Try 'em out, and let me know what you think.
Oh, to ease your worries a little, this was the #1 recipe of the year on the Whole Foods website.

Ingredients
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
3 large eggs
1/3 cup melted butter, more for the baking dish
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cane sugar
1/2 cup gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts


Method
Preheat oven to 350°F.


Butter an 8-inch baking pan. Place the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Remove the blade and gently stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, or until just set in the center. Cool before cutting into squares.


Nutrition


Per serving (1 brownie/about 2oz/60g-wt.): 160 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 50mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 17g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 12g sugar), 4g protein.

I tried them this way the first time, and they were perfect.



The second time I made them, I replaced the eggs with banana, the sugar with honey, and the oil with applesauce. It tasted like chocolate baby food. I would recommend picking one, not all, of the healthier options!

4 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

they look so dark and chocolatey! a brownie with
fiber and protein...i am all over this!

Ashleigh Thomson said...

I saw this on Kathie Lee's show... I want to try them!

alex.klein said...

oh! ive heard of these! They sound great!!!!

youre funny reccomending to not put all the healthy options!


I love you!


And I miss you so much.
it makes me sad. I miss going and hanging out with you :(

Valerie said...

I have made bean brownies before, but I think it was a can of black beans and a brownie mix...(still carby) They were ok, but not like 'real brownies'. My family did eat them but asked what I did differently. All I could do was smile,I am not good at jokes or tricks or lies...so I would start cracking up and then say they had beans in them...now whenever I make brownies, they always ask if they were made with beans!!!