Ever have a moment when you have thought, "I just ruined my child. He is going to remember this and hold it against me forever"?
If not, good for you.
I'm not so lucky.
This very thought ran through my mind about 100 times yesterday afternoon.
We had a horrible 45 minutes during our day.
Like, really horrible.
So we begin...
Judah was supposed to be taking a nap, but decided he didn't want to. I pulled him out of his crib and we were playing around on my bed. Then, I had a bright idea. He's had quite a mop on his head for the last couple of weeks, and it's just getting poofier and poofier so I decided I would buzz him.
The logic being, it would occupy us both for awhile. So goes bright idea #1.
He hates the clippers. Hates them. Probably because they sound like they are run by a diesel engine, but nevertheless, every time I turn them on he freaks out. I opted to hold him on my hip with my left hand and shave him with my right hand. This resulted in him clinging to me, screaming in my left ear, an uneven buzz and hair clippings everywhere.
So goes bright idea #2. Put him in the bath tub.
He loves the bath and it calmed him down to be in there. I grabbed my scissors so I could trim around his ears while he was calm and sitting. This is usually the way he gets his hair cuts, so it's not out of our norm. Until...as I am trimming up around his ear, he makes a quick movement and I take off a piece of his ear skin. (it's okay to gasp. it was just as awful as it sounds)
Realizing what I had done, WE immediately started crying hysterically. I wrapped him in a towel and we cried together in his rocking chair as blood went down his cheek and onto my chest. He recovered much quicker than I did. I was a crying mess for a good 20 minutes. I felt so terrible.
So goes bright idea #3.
Lets get dressed.
Simple enough. I let him run around naked for a little bit (he loves it) knowing full well he would pee on my floor at least 3 times in 5 minutes (which he did do. 3 times), but I didn't care. I just wanted him to be happy. I went back to my room to change my blood stained shirt.
While putting on my shirt I saw this:Yea.
Right on my bed where Judah and I had just been laying.
I, without thinking (as usual), screamed and started doing some horrible freaky dance in my bedroom. This resulted in Judah crying (again) and me ripping him up and putting him outside in a diaper and the first pair of shorts that I could find.
Also, I did what any mature married person would do and:
1. called Drew ,who was on his way home from work, telling him this was the worst hour of my life and he needed to get home now and rescue his bride and firstborn like some chivalrous hero.
2. allowed my mother who (by the grace of God) just randomly stopped by at this exact moment, to avenge me and take care of the spider while I stood down the hall way rendered useless and still doing my horribly freaky dance.
3. put Judah in his crib while he watched my dance and my mother look for the huge spider.
4. felt like a total moron.
When I told this story to my sister, she said, "Kyle, that's so not you."
Yeah. I know.
I never cry and jump and freaky dance like a little girl when I see a spider. But this one happened to be on MY bed , where I had just happened to be laying, after I had just traumatized my son and cut off part of his ear.
Seriously.
Give yourself a pat on the back if your day was a good day yesterday.
Here's to hoping today will go on with no traumatic experiences, all ears intact and no stinking spiders.
Amen.
12 comments:
that was such a cute post! I screamed yesterday when i saw a spider on our couch. I ran to the bedroom and stood on the bed till austin killed it
Yes i gasped, and now my heart rate through the roof at the picture of that spider.
I too would have been doing a crying screaming dance if that had been my afternoon.
holy eff that spider is huge! i would have cried too!
Poor Judah! Poor Mommy! I hope today was much better!
Kyle, I'm not letting you off the hook as your blog-friends have done. As your sister, I have to tell you the worst part was definitely the ear. Hee Hee...
His mercies are new every morning...Praise God.
Oh , Kyle. I feel bad for Judah but even worse for you! Bless your heart.
Ps borrow our clippers-- they're so quiet.
Pps he won't remember so don't be too hard on yourself...but I would have cried, too.
I could not help but laugh (wince and cringe a little too) as I read this post, no, it's not 'funny' but irony is as I can say 'been there done that'(even the goliath spider part). Fortunately children are gracious and forgiving as we mommmies have moments we fumble through!
Been there . . . done that! Unfortunately my son was old enough to remember!! He still teases me about it sometimes! Judah is young enough like your other friends said he won't remember!
And I would have definitely done the same thing with the spider!!! In fact it would've been very hard for me to crawl back in that bed!
I can top that one though! I let my son drive us to his school one morning. I got in on the passenger side. After switching sides and driving to work, being at work for a while, one of our male techs informed me that I had a mouse hanging from the passenger side door of my truck! Somehow he must have been trying to get in when I got out and I must've smashed his body in the door. His head was on the inside and body on the outside! EWWWH!!!! I had to have one of our male techs get it out for me and it was EXTREMELY HARD to drive the truck from then on!
It was both sad and funny to watch how upset you were. Poor Kyle, when Heather was a baby (a few weeks) I stuck her with a diaper pin, I cried for along time. My mother was there and she said "Susan, you idiot, stop crying." Ask Heather if she remembers and you will have your answer about Judah remembering.
Ohhhh! Kyle...that is just awful! A couple of nites ago...we had a huge spider on our couch. Kate was just walking by about the time I spotted it. Well...of course I shrieked & yelled spider!!! (you understand!) Kate screamed and was dancing around like a maniac!The spider is dead now...thank heavens!!
I've freaked out over spiders, too. Wilder still talks about the itsy bitsy spider that daddy "broke" in the kitchen.
Just think of what kids saw/experienced in the olden days. Judah will be fine!
I totally get the freaky dance, because I do it too...eecckkkkk!!!! I would have probably stood far away, but watched it til someone could get it...I'm always afraid it's gonna hide and get me later! LOL I love your posts! BTW, your mom rocks! HooRay for the Spider Killer!
Post a Comment