First off, I just want to say that we are praising God for such a wonderful pregnancy, labor and beautiful baby. He is wonderfully perfect and everything we dreamed he would be. We're in love.
Last week I had two days of actual labor that went no where. I labored Monday night for about 5 hours and Wednesday night for 7 hours. The contractions would just stop for no reason and refuse to pick back up no matter how much walking or resting I did. I went in to see my midwife on Thursday to see if there was anything wrong, or if he just wasn't ready yet. She checked me and I was at a 3 and 75% effaced and the baby (who had spend most of the pregnancy on his side) was now face up. Optimal delivery position is the "humble" position where baby's head is down and chin tucked in. She was hoping that he would be able to correct himself during labor.
I woke Friday morning at 4:30 am with contractions. I told Drew to go ahead and go to work because I was afraid that they would stop again. I went about my day as normal and ran a few errands with my mom. The contractions continued and got increasingly more painful. I was starting to get pretty excited knowing that this was finally it. But, much to my disappointment, my contractions stopped at about 11 am. I was so upset. I went on another walk and came home heartbroken. Nothing. I decided I would try to rest and took a short nap. I woke around 1:00 and the contractions had started again. I was ecstatic! I told Drew (who was equally thrilled) and we decided he should finish his day at work since he would be home around 4:00.
By the time he arrived at home, I was unable to talk through the contractions and they were about 10-12 minutes apart. We decided to leave Judah at my mom's and go back home so we could get things set up for the birth. We hung out at home and played a few board games while my contractions remained pretty erratic getting to 6-7 minutes apart and then back to 15-20 minutes apart. We decided to call our midwife at 8:00pm to give her a heads up that something may be happening tonight. Afterward, we decided to take a walk to see if we could get the contractions more consistent. Once we got home, they really picked up in both time and intensity. This is when "active" labor began. We called my midwife again at 1:00 am to let her know I was contracting every 5 minutes and she decided it was time to come over. We held off on calling her because in between contractions I was perfectly fine. I was joking, eating, cleaning and then a contraction would come. I would lean against the wall and Drew would come to put counter pressure on my back and then we were back to whatever we were doing before. It was the weirdest thing. Not at all like my labor with Judah.
Beautiful, perfect and finally here.
It was an amazing experience and I am so thankful that I was able to do it the way I had been hoping for. I am not going to say that it didn't hurt and it wasn't that bad because the last few minutes were rough. But there was something amazing about being in my own home and having my birthing crew double as my prayer team. His labor and delivery was just a blessing in every aspect.
About his name:
We both really wanted Drew to be able to name this baby; it was really important to us. Randomly one evening, he asked, "what do you think about Caleb?" I loved it. It was nothing like the other "out there" names we had considered, but it just seemed like it fit perfectly. It means "bold" and it follows the Old Testament theme for all the boys on my side of the family. We love it.
Zachary is my brother's name. My brother and I have always been really close and Drew and I both really love and admire who my brother is and who he has become. He was the first person to know the baby's full name (minus my slip up) and it means a lot to us to carry on his namesake in our little family.
9 comments:
OHHH ok I'm bawling. But I shouldn't expect less, your writing typically moves me to tears! I am so happy that you got to give birth the way you wanted!
I know that it meant so much to Zach that you named little Caleb after him. He was so excited for the baby and was dreaming about him even. He is a good man and it makes me so happy that you guys are so proud of him. We love all FOUR (YAY!) of you so much!
You are an amazing woman Kyle,and I am very proud of you! I was thrilled to know that you named the baby after your brother because he is an amazing man!
Wow! I loved reading this story even though I heard it yesterday :) I am praising God for a lot of things right now...Caleb, your birth at home, and your birthing team. I love that the name you picked for Caleb Zachary has meaning and ties him to our family. The same goes for Judah. It was fantastic getting to meet him and to spend time with you and Drew. Congrats and blessings!
I love reading birth stories, thanks for sharing yours! I'm a detail kinda gal, so I enjoyed reading how everything progressed. Congratulations on such a beautiful little boy - the perfect addition to the rest of the family!
good job, Kyle! I am so proud of you. what a beautiful birth story. maybe i will try home birth next time. i get pre--eclampsia after each birth so i don't know...
wilder was sunny side up, too. that makes it 10 times harder to get them out.
caleb is a beautiful name...ya'all are so weet.
How beautiful to be able to have him at home. I love that you prayed him out, what a start to life!!!
what a wonderful story and beautiful baby! Congratulations Kyle and Drew
Kyle, you are lovely. It is very clear to me that God created you to be a mommy and you are just so natural that it is beautiful to watch you. Praise God for His many blessings, Praise God for honoring your hearts desires and God bless your Marriage, your children and your family. I am so proud of the woman you have become.
I was interested in how you came about his name and I loved reading about that. I looked online today out of curiosity and found this..
"From the Hebrew Ka, meaning "like, as" and Lev, meaning
"heart," making the meaning "like the heart."
It made me just cry. I love your family so very much!
Summer
Such a great story! So happy for you and your growing family. Can't wait to meet Caleb!
Post a Comment